Driving Shimanami Sea Road

Shimanami Sea Road (しまなみ海道)connects Onomichi (尾道)in Hiroshima to Imabari (今治)in Ehime in Shikoku Island. It is a highway road, thus requires toll fee, passing several islands in Setouchi Sea (瀬戸内海).

I took rented a car and started the drive from Onomichi Station, planned to visit only the highlights pointed out in my guide book.
1. Mount Kirou (亀老山展望公園), for the view of Setouchi Sea
2. Oyamazumi Shrine (大山積神社), shrine with the 2600 years old tree
3. Mount Shirataki (白滝山), for view of Setouchi Islands and the Buddhist statues

I set my navigation direct to my lunch stop, seafood canteen called Tairyou (大漁)recommended in my guide book. After driving 30 minutes, I stopped at Tatara Shimanami Park (道の駅 多々羅しまなみ公園)just after Tatara Big Bridge. The park was pretty with the close view of the bridge. On the way back later on, I visited also the other side of the park, where the camp site is, and also pretty with white sand beach.

Tatara Shimanami Park

The lunch was cheap and luckily, just in front of the canteen, was Oyamazumi Shrine. The shrine was pretty and spacious. After passing the first gate, I saw a big old tree, but understood later that it was not the famous 2600 years old tree which located further in.

Oyamazumi Shrine

After walking around the shrine, I continued driving to Mount Kirou, the furthest in my itinerary today for the best view of the islands. The observation deck was modern wooden structure and the view of the islands was impressive. There was big turtle, the name "Kirou" literally mean "old turtle", and snack shop in the entrance of the observation deck.

View from Mount Kirou

Due to time limit, I rushed driving to my last destination, Mount Shirataki. About 10 minutes hiking was required from the parking area to the mountain top in the temple. Pretty view of  a line of Buddhist statues with the background of the islands.

View from Mount Shirataki

Travel Fact:
- Used Times Car Share, rented for 5 hours, 12:00-17:00
- Guide book: Color Plus (Japanese)

Suggestions:
- I rented 5 hours, but it is better longer like 7 hours to visit the same itinerary.

Travel Date: 8 May 2020

コメント

人気の投稿